Monday, May 29, 2006

The problem with toy


Kutaragi commented [on the price of the PS3]: "If you consider the PlayStation 3 a toy, then yes, it is an expensive toy. However, it is more than a toy. It is a PlayStation 3. And it is the only PlayStation 3. I hope that those who understand this will gladly purchase it."
(from gamasutra.com)


Ok, it's not a toy but, let's face it, it's mainly a games console (although I think they would like to market as something more sophisticated). The funny thing is that, actually, 'toyplay' has been increasingly gaining share amongst other styles of gaming. My point is: what's so wrong about a toy that costs that much? I am really not complaining about the PS3 price, but about the need of dissociating completely a games console from toys (of course is much more than that, but it can also be that).

That is something, I think, that could alienate part of the audience (and developers) - maybe not as much as the price, though. I don't think there is the need, as video games get more mature, to deny some of its uses (and that could be happening to the term "game" as well - let's leave it to another post).

"And it is the only PlayStation 3"
I thought there were two of them.

No comments:

Copyright, Chico Queiroz