Wednesday, March 29, 2006

New book on video game theory criticism

There is a new book on my wish-list: Unit Operations: An Approach to Videogame Criticism, by Ian Bogost from Persuasive Games and watercoolergames.org, where he writes: ""Unit Operations" is my shorthand for a general theory of procedurality that includes computational, literary, artistic, filmic, and plastic expression." It sounds like a very promising book.

Having said that, there is so much reading I still have to catch up to...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I'm looking foward to it. I had the pleasure of meeting Ian at GDC last week, all those Gtech people are really sharp! I'm interested in how he breaks down gameplay structures and relates that to worldview biases.

Another book I'm looking foward to reading is Katherine Isbister's "Better Characters by Design".

Chico Queiroz said...

There are so many interesting books on game design and theory coming out that it's possible to keep track of them (not to mention afford them all). Five or six years ago, you could count all of them in one hand.

The best thing about it is that the medium, I believe, is changing and being influenced by game studies. Designers, publishers and enthusiasts are becoming more and more aware of the nature and power of video games.

Copyright, Chico Queiroz